Can a person restore their civil liberties?

A person's civil liberties may be restored. A person with only one Arizona felony conviction, whose civil rights were lost or suspended, had their rights automatically restored upon completion of a term of probation, or receipt of an absolute discharge from imprisonment if the person paid all imposed fines or restitution. However, this does not apply to the right to possess a weapon. To restore the right to possess a weapon the person must file an application with Maricopa County Superior Court.

A person with two or more Arizona felony convictions must file the applications to restore their civil liberties with Maricopa County Superior Court. A separate application will be required for each felony criminal case. For more information or to access the applications, please visit the Maricopa County Superior Court Website.

Show All Answers

1. What rights are lost when a person is convicted of a felony?
2. Can a person restore their civil liberties?
3. What if my felony conviction was in another state?
4. What if I was convicted of a felony in federal court?
5. How do I know if I am eligible to restore my rights?
6. What is setting aside judgment?
7. Where can I get an application?
8. Where do I get a copy of my Absolute Discharge?
9. Once I complete the application to receive a copy of my Certificate of Absolute Discharge, then what?
10. My Felony was dropped to a Misdemeanor, but background checks are still showing that I have a felony. Why?