Elevation Certificates

Existing Elevation Certificate

A community's permit file must have an official record that shows new buildings and substantial improvements in all identified Special Flood Hazard Areas are properly elevated. This elevation information is needed to show compliance with the floodplain management ordinance.

The District may have a record of the Elevation Certificate if the structure is located in the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County or one of the 14 communities we do floodplain management for, and if one was required when the structure was built. Elevation certificates that have been issued for a particular structure are denoted as green triangles on the Elevations Certificates Map. An elevation certificate may be viewed and printed by clicking on a green triangle on the map.

Residences constructed prior to being mapped into a high-risk flood zone typically may not have an Elevation Certificate on file. Please contact the District at (602) 506-2419.

If you are located in an incorporated area of Maricopa County, contact the jurisdiction in which the structure is located to inquire about record of the Elevation Certificate.

View Elevation Certificates Map (part of the Floodplain Viewer).

New Elevation Certificate

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) encourages communities to use the Elevation Certificate developed by FEMA to fulfill this requirement since it also can be used by the property owner to obtain flood insurance. Communities participating in the Community Rating System (CRS) are required to use the FEMA Elevation Certificate which can be found on the FEMA website.

Get the Elevation Certificate and Instructions.

Apply for a Letter of Map Amendment Using the Elevation Certificate

If you have an Elevation Certificate, that structure may be eligible for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) if:

  1. The building was constructed before the date of the first National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) map showing the area in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
  2. The Lowest Adjacent Grade Elevation (item C2.f on the Elevation Certificate) is higher than the Base Flood Elevation (item B9.).

How to Apply

To receive a LOMA, you must file an application with FEMA. Only FEMA may issue a LOMA. If approved, the LOMA verifies that your structure has been removed from a designated floodplain. Your lender may then choose to not require flood insurance.

Get FEMA's MT-EZ Form to submit a LOMA application. View Basic Guidance for Completing MT-EZ (PDF).