County Road Abandonment

The Maricopa County Real Estate Department (MCRED) is the Administrator of Roadway Abandonments on behalf of the Maricopa County Department of Transportation (MCDOT).

The process begins with the property owner(s) completing the Roadway Abandonment Application. Required documents include a copy of the Ownership (Vesting) Deed with legal description.

Submit completed application, in person, with required document(s) and a check in the amount of $250 payable to: Maricopa County Department of Transportation (MCDOT), 2901 W. Durango Street, Phoenix, AZ 85009

  • Once the application and documents are received, a routing package will be compiled and sent to various departments and utilities for a technical review. Departments and utilities are provided 20 days to respond.
  • The right of way identified in the abandonment gets posted with an “Abandonment Notice” sign to give the neighboring public an opportunity for feedback.
  • If there are no objections or objections received have been resolved, then a request is made to be put on the agenda of the next scheduled Board of Supervisors (BOS) formal meeting. NOTE: If the road is located within a platted subdivision, the applicant must contact the Maricopa County Planning and Development Department at 602-506-3301 to replat the subdivision. The replat process typically takes several months and requires the consent of all property owners within the subdivision.
  • Final approval of the Road Abandonment may take up to three (3) months from the date of the application submittal due to the coordination with the BOS monthly scheduled formal meetings.
  • Once approved by the BOS, a letter is sent to the applicant confirming the abandonment along with the recording information of the Board Resolution.
  • The Maricopa County Assessor Office is then notified of the approved abandonment. The unassessed portion will now be added to the taxable area of the abutting property which may increase the total tax liability.

To determine if your property meets the requirements to initiate a technical review you can submit a preliminary abandonment application to for a cursory review.